But by far the most interesting guests we had at our home was Tina and Ike Turner. This is a short Tina Turner story told to me by my father, Gardner Wilcox.
THE STORY
My father was a radio disc jockey for many years. He started working on the radio in the Air Force during Vietnam. Most days he said his job was pretty boring, read the news, sit around, read the news... but every once in awhile he was asked to introduce musical acts for the USO tours. Most of the acts he introduced were not famous, just good performers that got the chance to perform on the USO circuit. But every once in a while someone famous would come through. This time it was Tina and Ike Turner.
Before the concert my dad was waiting in the wings; waiting to introduce Tina and Ike. While waiting Tina Turner come up behind my dad and started small talk. After only a few minutes they began laughing like old friends. Tine said to my dad before they went on, "Gardner, when we all get back to the states, I hope we can meet up sometime for a dinner". Dad said that would be great... but in his mind he realized that it would probably never happen.
Fast forward several years later. My dad was working as a commercial disc jockey in Omaha Nebraska for an AM station. Back then, AM and rock was king and dad was the leading jock in town. So dad always introduced the stars when the did concerts in Omaha. Eventually, Tina and Ike's tour came to town. The moment Tina saw my dad she said, "Hey Gardner, what about that dinner?" Dad was shocked that she remembered him. He laughingly said, "I would love to. But where would we go? The concert will get over at about midnight and nothing will be open." Tina thought about it and said, Why don't we just hang out at your place for a bit and catch up on old times?" So my dad called my mom and said, "Hey do you mind making something to eat for after concert? Tina and Ike would like to come over." Dad said mom was shocked. All the while the concert was happening, my mom was cleaning the house, dressing my sister and I up in our best clothes, and trying to cooking something nice for a couple of legendary rockstars.
When my dad, Tina, and Ike arrived at the house, Tina and Ike were already arguing loudly. My mom was working in the kitchen to finish supper and my sister Lisa, who was 4, wanted to help. Somewhere in the chaos, my sister accidentally burned her had on the stove. In fact, bad enough that she needed to go to the ER. So my sister is screaming, Tina and Ike are screaming, and my mom and dad are trying to figure out how to calm things down and get my sister to the ER.
Ike finally had had enough. He stormed out of the house, leaving Tina with no way to get back to the hotel. My dad was then pressured to frantically try to figure out how to get my sister to the ER, Tina back to the hotel, and someone to watch 2 year old Scotty in the process. Finally, Tina says, "Stop!" "Here's what you're going to do. You and your wife will take Lisa to the ER, take as much time as you need, then when you get back, you can drive me to my hotel. And while you are gone, I'll babysit Scotty." And that's exactly what they did.
Fast forward 7 years later. My dad, on a fluke, runs into Tina at the Denver Airport. The first thing she said to my dad was, "How's my baby?"
God speed Tina. You were a great babysitter, and an amazing human being.
THE SONG
America
by Scott Wilcox © 2008
I was born in Ohio the son of a radio man
My father fought for his country in a country called Vietnam
I was raised on the highway living in a moving van
Now I was born in this country and this country is who I am
America is the thrill of hope, The hope that we’ll all be free
The sparkle in a little ones eyes the first time that they see, America
I was raised in the heartland, Wisconsin suits me fine
But I still travel the USA, following that dotted line
I’ve been down to Mobile, North to the Alaska Range
Though the faces are always changing, the country remains the same.
America is the thrill of hope, The hope that we’ll all be free
The sparkle in a little ones eyes the first time that they see, America
Now I am a father, daddy to three fine kids
I am able to raise them due to the fighting that my father did
My grandpa was captured by the Nazis in WWII
What will you give for your country, for all its given to you?
Before the concert my dad was waiting in the wings; waiting to introduce Tina and Ike. While waiting Tina Turner come up behind my dad and started small talk. After only a few minutes they began laughing like old friends. Tine said to my dad before they went on, "Gardner, when we all get back to the states, I hope we can meet up sometime for a dinner". Dad said that would be great... but in his mind he realized that it would probably never happen.
Fast forward several years later. My dad was working as a commercial disc jockey in Omaha Nebraska for an AM station. Back then, AM and rock was king and dad was the leading jock in town. So dad always introduced the stars when the did concerts in Omaha. Eventually, Tina and Ike's tour came to town. The moment Tina saw my dad she said, "Hey Gardner, what about that dinner?" Dad was shocked that she remembered him. He laughingly said, "I would love to. But where would we go? The concert will get over at about midnight and nothing will be open." Tina thought about it and said, Why don't we just hang out at your place for a bit and catch up on old times?" So my dad called my mom and said, "Hey do you mind making something to eat for after concert? Tina and Ike would like to come over." Dad said mom was shocked. All the while the concert was happening, my mom was cleaning the house, dressing my sister and I up in our best clothes, and trying to cooking something nice for a couple of legendary rockstars.
When my dad, Tina, and Ike arrived at the house, Tina and Ike were already arguing loudly. My mom was working in the kitchen to finish supper and my sister Lisa, who was 4, wanted to help. Somewhere in the chaos, my sister accidentally burned her had on the stove. In fact, bad enough that she needed to go to the ER. So my sister is screaming, Tina and Ike are screaming, and my mom and dad are trying to figure out how to calm things down and get my sister to the ER.
Ike finally had had enough. He stormed out of the house, leaving Tina with no way to get back to the hotel. My dad was then pressured to frantically try to figure out how to get my sister to the ER, Tina back to the hotel, and someone to watch 2 year old Scotty in the process. Finally, Tina says, "Stop!" "Here's what you're going to do. You and your wife will take Lisa to the ER, take as much time as you need, then when you get back, you can drive me to my hotel. And while you are gone, I'll babysit Scotty." And that's exactly what they did.
Fast forward 7 years later. My dad, on a fluke, runs into Tina at the Denver Airport. The first thing she said to my dad was, "How's my baby?"
God speed Tina. You were a great babysitter, and an amazing human being.
THE SONG
America
by Scott Wilcox © 2008
I was born in Ohio the son of a radio man
My father fought for his country in a country called Vietnam
I was raised on the highway living in a moving van
Now I was born in this country and this country is who I am
America is the thrill of hope, The hope that we’ll all be free
The sparkle in a little ones eyes the first time that they see, America
I was raised in the heartland, Wisconsin suits me fine
But I still travel the USA, following that dotted line
I’ve been down to Mobile, North to the Alaska Range
Though the faces are always changing, the country remains the same.
America is the thrill of hope, The hope that we’ll all be free
The sparkle in a little ones eyes the first time that they see, America
Now I am a father, daddy to three fine kids
I am able to raise them due to the fighting that my father did
My grandpa was captured by the Nazis in WWII
What will you give for your country, for all its given to you?
Its my hope that we can get to know each other better through sharing of my stories and my music. To purchase my music you can go to my website at www.scottwilcox.com or you may find it on Spotify.
I truly need your support so please consider booking me for a show near you by emailing me at songwriterscottwilcox@gmail.com You can also help by following my Facebook page @songwriterscottwilcox

No comments:
Post a Comment