Sunday, November 19, 2023
Introduce You to the Weaver
THE STORY
Introduction to me.
My name is Scott Wilcox; my friends call me Scotty. This first blog is just an introduction, so that you can get an idea of who I am, what I do, and why I chose to create this blog. There are hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of blogs on the internet and I would be stupid to tell you mine is different than all the rest, so I won't. But what I will tell you is that my hope is to make you think, make you feel something, and possibly rekindle your belief in music with a soul again. So without further adieu, here is my story.
I grew up as an Air Force brat. My father was in the military when I was very young where he learned to be a radio disc jockey. After the Vietnam war dad finished out his service in Alaska, where they had my sister, then in Ohio at Wright Patterson AF Base where I was born. After the Air force he went into commercial radio and made a habit of moving our family from town to town, up and down the dial, just like it says in the theme from WKRP in Cincinnati. In fact, in the 17 years my parents were married, we moved 21 times. My dad was sort of pseudo-famous for his time, especially in the 70’s when AM radio was king. He seemed to know all the famous stars. I remember the day my dad met Jerry Lewis during the Muscular Dystrophy telethon. Dad knew Ed Bachman from Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO), Tina Turner, Wolfman Jack, and probably many others. It wasn’t unusual to have a star just pop into the house to say, “Hi”. But life wasn’t always happy for my father, he always seemed restless. He always seemed to feel like there was a better opportunity just over the horizon, somewhere in the next town. So we kept moving. Eventually, my mom had had it. She wanted us kids to grow up in one place long enough to make friends and build relationships with our family. So we moved to Tomah, WI. Tomah was a small community in Southwest Wisconsin with a population of 5,600 in the late 70’s. Because I was just a 12 year old kid at the time, I had no idea how unhappy my father was. He felt trapped. It wasn’t long before he needed to find a way out; and it didn’t include us. One night, my father got a call from my grandmother in Florida. She told him that nd Ex-girlfriend of his was living in California and going through a tough time. Maybe he should give her a call. So he did. Whatever happened on that phone call changed all our lives forever.
One December night when I was 12 and my sister was 14, my dad had an argument with my mom at 2am. He thought we were upstairs asleep, but I remember that night like it was yesterday. He grabbed a few of his things, walked out the door, got in his truck, and left. He never came back.
None of us are normal. We are all flawed. We are born these tiny little perfect creations and then life shapes us and changes us with each positive and negative experience. We are then given a choice. We can become the person the world expects us to be, or become the person we choose to be. I chose to not let my past define me. This experience I have just shared is by far the worst in my life. Sharing this with the world was not an easy choice for me but I felt that by sharing it, you have seen me on my worst day. Everyday from here on out will be the better part of my story. They will be the days that define me.
THE SONG
Never Coming Home by Scott Wilcox
VERSE 1
You could see December’s cold by the frost on my window.
With one door slam I was a man at 12 years old.
When the car drove off that night I didn’t know if I’d be alright
In a single night I would watch my life unfold.
CHORUS
I don’t know how I can look into your eyes and tell you that he’s never coming home
I tell you now, I was so surprised he could leave us here to face the world alone.
He’s never coming home.
VERSE 2
With the breaking of the dawn, life still rolls along
Step by step we peel the pain away.
Then a new love saunters in and life begins again.
But in your heart there’s still a part that says,
CHORUS
I don’t know how I can look into your eyes and tell you that he’s never coming home
I tell you now, I was so surprised he could leave us here to face the world alone.
He’s never coming home.
BRIDGE
I gotta find a way outta here, a place where I belong.
Gotta go where my mind is clear, to find the piece that’s gone.
CHORUS
I don’t know how I can look into your eyes and tell you that he’s never coming home
I tell you now, I was so surprised he could leave us here to face the world alone.
He’s never coming home.
There are three parts to this song. The verses tell of my experience and my pain through this horrible night.
The chorus is my mother’s reaction after my father has left. Her first thought being, “How am I going to tell the children that their father is never coming home?” and the bridge are what I assume my father was thinking during this whole ordeal. Songwriting is a very personal art. Some choose to write songs that appeal to the masses by making vague statements about life or vanilla life experiences. But life is not that way. Life is personal; it’s real. I believe people are smart enough to hear my personal stories and songs and still find a way to relate to them, and maybe even learn from them. Maybe it means that I won’t be famous, but fame without anything real to grab on to isn’t worth it to me. I’d rather just be there to shae another song or two. I promise every blog from here on out will be more uplifting and thought provoking. Thanks for taking the time to be a part of my story.
BIO:
Scott Wilcox is a singer-songwriter from Wisconsin. He has sang his song called, When You Know Better, live on Oprah Winfrey’s Lifeclass Show in 2011, won the Bob Dylan Days Songwriting Award in 2012 & 2013, and sang in a Superbowl commercial with Seal in 2017 called Superbowl Babies Choir. He performs hundreds of live performances each year. You can see his entire schedule at www.scottwilcox.com. If you would like to book Scott Wilcox for a live performance email songwriterscotwilcox@gmail.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Oprah Effect
THE STORY In October of 2011, my wife and I signed up for a satellite network subscription. Along with the subscription, we were given a bu...
-
As I mentioned briefly in my previous blog, my father was a radio disc jockey for 30 years. Seventeen of those years, he was married to my m...
-
THE STORY Introduction to me. My name is Scott Wilcox; my friends call me Scotty. This first blog is just an introduction, so that you can g...
-
THE STORY In October of 2011, my wife and I signed up for a satellite network subscription. Along with the subscription, we were given a bu...

I really loved reading this and feel your creative source. Life is certainly full of hurdles some harder than others... You got the attitude we all love. Thanks
ReplyDelete